Important Language Features You Should Know
Language is a practical model of communication throughout the history of humanity. Language has always been the prime mode to talk and with time language has evolved and different people use different styles and tones to speak. Through language people speak and share their mind’s thoughts and ideas. In two ways you can use language to communicate – (i) writing, (ii) verbally. In both ways language is used to communicate and strike a conversation between or among people.
Each language has different features, styles, and tones. And, while writing and talking you have to follow those features, tone, and style to have a great command over the language. Therefore, you should have basic knowledge of the language to speak or write fluently. For example, if you don’t know the English language you won’t be able to read English hence you won't understand what the writer wants to convey via his writing. You have to communicate to express your feelings to another person. And for that language is the medium.
This article explains language features and methods which are applied to learn communication skills. Communication through language can be formal or informal, documented or written, academic or personal, and a lot more. No matter what language is used for communication.
What is the language feature?
The importance of language is to help readers or listeners to understand what the writer or say-err wants to convey. A person who writes uses language as a weapon to share ideas and feelings he uses various english assignment writing styles, techniques, methods, to influence his readers. Now through the language feature, you can differentiate writing style, techniques of language and understand what the person is saying.
Presently, two types of language features are commonly accepted by people. These language features are used both in writing and talking.
- Descriptive Language: This language feature is used when the writer describes or explains something. This is mostly used to explain a product or an incident.
- Persuasive Language: This language feature is used when the writer wants to persuade the reader's mind and try to influence them to make certain actions.
Explanation of Descriptive Language:
Descriptive Language has the following features and they are as follows:
- Emotional Language/ touchy language: This Emotional Language feature is very powerful to set an emotional bond with the readers. The writer tries to influence and create an emotional bond by using touchy language.
- Dialogue: if you are participating in drama, scriptwriting then the dialogue language feature is very common. The writer uses this dialogue's language feature to give life to a frictional and non-frictional character. He first develops a character and then narrates a story revolving around it. Dialogues are in quotes because they are spoken by different people.
Dialogue is differentiating in 2 types:
(i) Inner dialogue
(ii) Outer dialogue
- Figurative Language: If you have read literature then you might know that sometimes a writer writes sentences but the meaning of that sentence is beyond those words. It has more deep meaning and it is compared to something. These writings add intensity to the writing. These sentences have a great deeper meaning. The figurative language can be written in fours ways. They are:
(i) Simile: For example, Time is precious and timeless like money
(ii) Metaphor: For example, her life is as priceless as a diamond.
This figurative language and words if included in a sentence it will change the meaning of the sentence. In English, there are hundreds of words that have similar meanings but are used in different instances to explain different situations. A right word will develop the right connotation and that improves the quality of the writing. Therefore, to understand the author's mind you have to know the language.
- Colloquial Language: This is the informal tone in the writing. This pattern is used in everyday talking. This language is influenced from place to place. Every place has a different dialect, vocabulary, pattern of talking, speed, tone, skill. Therefore, It influences from geographical place to place.
Colloquialism is a Latin term that means ‘conversation’ and ‘conference’. Therefore, when a writer is writing he should know beforehand who his targeted audience is. For whom he is writing. He should understand his readers. He should think that his readers will understand the tone he wrings or not. If you are finding top english assignment helper you can get help from us.
- Sound Devices: Few words in English have similar meanings but readers understand them by their sound or tone. Is it provoking, or easy, or funny. There are 4 types of sound devices are as follows:
Explanation of Persuasive Language:
- Evidence: In this type of writing mostly writings are paraphrase as per audience requirements.
- Inclusive Language: Terms like “we, us, they” are termed as inclusive language. The writer uses this to motivate and inspire the listener more strongly. Political leaders commonly use this.
- Exclusive Language: Terms like “they, them, house” are termed as exclusive language. The writer uses this to highlight a section of people who are considering out of a group.
- Rhetoric Language: These sentences instigate and create hype among the readers so that they take action. It is like trying to instigate people by saying that they can’t do it or prove a point. The main motive is to make them perform it.
- Imaginary: The writer gives a vivid description of the place so that readers get a cinematic idea in their mind. There are 5 types of Imaginary language. They are:
- Repetition: It is another way of persuading one’s mind. For example, we will fight no matter what happens. Generalization: To generalize a group of people. For example, All Indians are communists, assignments are tough.
- Formal Language: This type of language is used when you are talking to a formal person like a judge of the Supreme Court, Principle of the school.
- Humor: This is a funny tone of language. Mostly informal tone.
These are the Important Language Features that everyone Should Know