Ethics in Counselling
Counseling is a process in which a person counsels another person based on the problems that are faced by the other individual in him or her life. It is important to understand that Counseling is a process through which negative thoughts within an individual's mind can be shared and the majority of the problems faced by the individual can be solved by providing effective advice and providing empathy to the other. In the current assessment there will be discussion over the ethics that are involved in the Counseling process and how it is effective in managing the Counseling process. Further reflection will also be provided over the contribution that has been made by me in the current project.
Ethics in Counseling
Ethics are moral standards that are set in every profession to make sure that the operations in every profession are conducted ethically. In Counseling ethics is also set for counselors that follow these principles, guidelines and methods determining their nature and course of their actions in the Counseling process (Welfel, 2015). It is important to understand that as a professional counselor the following are set to act in the best interest of their client to make sure that the client goals are promoted, the rights of the client are protected, the benefits are maximized and the hazards are optimized (Pope, & Vasquez, 2016). Ethics in Counseling crease codes and principles that make sure that the counselor acts in a moral way and operates for the benefit of the client. It argued that the counselor must look and follow ethics with a positive approach, Moral and societal codes, values and spirit. The counselor must consider the overall greater community of Counseling while following the ethical guideline in conducting the counseling process (Francis & Dugger, 2014). Counselor must follow the the ethics set by the board and organization followed in the region such as in Australia the Australian Code of ethics as per the Australian Counseling Association (ASA) must be followed which states the ethics as follows;
- The counselor must provide an non judgmental service which is free from mankind of discrimination
- The counselor must be able to create a relationship so that the integrity and empowerment of the client is maintained effectively (Australian Counseling Association. 2014)
- The counselor must be committed to the professional personal development process
- The counselor must make sure that the purpose, process and boundaries of Counseling process is a properly understood
- The counselor must promise that the confidentiality and limits of duty of care will be provided
- The counselor must receive a written confirmation to provide advocacy
- The counselor must make sure that the Endeavour of making suitable referral is provided where the following cannot provide service
- The counselor must conduct constant supervision to understand the range of skills that needs to be developed to enhance performance and sustain professional accountability
- The counselor must be responsive and provide support to the client
- The counselor should not act as a legal advisor on the behalf of the client (Australian Counseling Association. 2015)
- The counselor should not be involved in initiating or pursuing a relationship with current and existing client and stay professional
- The counselor must be informed about the new theories and model of Counseling to enhance the process.
- The counselor must be committed to following all of the above ethics in Counseling process
According to the conducted research I have observed that the ethics in counseling service are essential in order to provide adequate meaning and understanding. With the implications of the ethical considerations and motives, the counselor provides services with proper guidelines. In this context I shall also include that in the Counseling operations and services the inclusion and follow of ethics is important for the counselors to follow ethical principles, guidelines and methods determining according to the services nature and course of their actions in the Counseling process. I have also noticed that it is important to understand that as a professional counselor needs to implement adequate set of ethical considerations and principles in accordance to the act in the best interest of their client to make sure that the client goals are promoted, the rights of the client are protected, the benefits are maximized and the hazards are optimized. I have also observed that with adequate Counseling the counselors have been providing adequate services and client services so that the benefits and understanding of the services along wyatts benefits are understood to the clients. The clients often prefer the services with adequate efficacy and professionalism. From the perform=red research and provided discussion I have also observed that Counseling services are done with multiple actors and aspects that the counselors need to keep in mind while providing their client’s counseling services. Some ethics regarding morality, principality and codes need to be maintained by the counselors; any foul services are to be constructed at any cost. Many ethical approaches based on the client’s requirements must also been ob-reviewed by the counselor. While developing the research I noticed that the counselor in the modern market must have the belt to create a suitable relationship with their clients, they must have adequate respect and professionalism for the services and client's requirements. Not only that the counselors are also required to be quite generous and true for enhancing developed Counseling to their clients and their requirements.
According to the conducted research it is concluded that with the inclusion of the ethics in Counseling it is observed that the Counseling services are greatly influenced and enhanced with the compliance of different ethics principles of the Counseling operations and services towards the clients. There are multiple factors and aspects that counselors must be aware of before providing certain services and information to the clients during the period. Most of the counselors need to be aware of the code of ethics, principles, morality and distinguished norms that every counselor must have in terms of providing services and Counseling towards the clients.
Australian Counseling Association. (2014). Code of Ethics and Practice:… of the Association for Counselors in Australia.
Australian Counseling Association. (2015). Code of ethics and practice.
Francis, P. C., & Dugger, S. M. (2014). Professionalism, ethics, and value?based conflicts in counseling: An introduction to the special section. Journal of Counseling & Development, 92(2), 131-134.
Pope, K. S., & Vasquez, M. J. (2016). Ethics in psychotherapy and counseling: A practical guide. John Wiley & Sons.
Welfel, E. R. (2015). Ethics in counseling & psychotherapy. Cengage Learning.