Strategic Management Resubmission
Your assignment is linked to the following learning outcome:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the key approaches, theories and concepts that inform strategic management
- Critically appraise different schools of thought to healthcare business practice and strategic management
- Critically explain and analyze a range of strategies linking theory to practice.
For Assignment 2 resubmission you are required to demonstrate an understanding of the application of relevant concepts, tools, techniques, and methodologies, introduced over the course of this module from strategic thinking, to strategic planning, and strategic momentum.
You will select an existing strategic plan (this must be different than the previous plan you selected) of an organization working in international healthcare. If you are currently working in an international healthcare organization, you may choose your own organization. If not, you can select one that you have access to, or you can find an international healthcare organisation's strategic plan online. You will play the role of an external Strategy Implementation Consultant hired by the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the organization. They have hired you at the starting point of the implementation of the strategic plan to write a Strategic Roadmap that looks at your key learnings in this module and applies them to the implementation of the strategy. In the Strategic Roadmap you will advise the CEO how to integrate the key elements you have learnt about strategic management into the implementation of the strategy.
When writing the Roadmap keep in mind that the CEO is a busy person, so you need to write professionally, concise, clearly, provide good evidence, and follow Harvard academic referencing systems. It is recommended that you have clear headings that break up your Strategic Roadmap and make it easy for the CEO to follow, and also consider using infographics and other ways to present information in a clear and easy to understand format.
The Roadmap is likely to comprise of the following:
• Executive Summary – where you summarise the key considerations and priorities of the Roadmap.
• Organisational Overview
o Current status – where you will give a brief overview of the organisation’s current status in relation to the strategic priorities. If you know the organisation, you will have insights into how the organisation looks before the strategy is implemented. If you don’t know the organisation, be creative and imagine the type of organisational realities that might have been in place before the strategy. You can also consider reaching out to key informant within the organisation to get deeper insights into the organisational status and issues.
o Strategic vision – here outline the big picture vision for the organisation and where the strategy will take the organisation. What will be the most challenging strategic directions?
• Implementing the Strategy – Here you will explore learnings from the module in relation to the implementation for each of the strategic directions as outlined in the strategy. These may be explored in the following sub-headings:
o Directional Strategies (vision, mission and values)
o Service/Product Strategies
o Support Strategies
• Measuring the success of the strategy – here you will explore what you have learnt in this module about how to measure success and the possible challenges in measuring these, and your recommendations.
• Reflecting and revisiting the strategy – here you will explore issues like when and how to reflect on the strategy, how to continue to align the strategy with the external environment and gain sustainable competitive advantage, and when a new strategy needs to be developed and how.
Cross-cutting themes that you will explore throughout the Roadmap include challenges to implementation, change management, scheduling, market segmentation, communication, learning organisation, stakeholders, marketing, resource implications, value-chain, competitive advantage, skills development and talent management, contingency planning, and leadership. Remember to back-up your advice and recommendation to the CEO with credibly sourced evidence through in-text citations and referencing of module readings as well as wider academic reading.
In the annexes, you must include the strategic plan. You are encouraged to provide additional information such as an action plan for the first 6 months, a contingency plan, or other supporting implementation tools that will be helpful for the CEO.
Resubmission Grading Criteria:
Your work will be marked using the same criteria which has been used in your previous submission of this assessment. Please refer to the original module for further details.